Monday, July 16, 2012

Whoaa China!

Wow, today I'm loving China.  Loooving it.  No real reason, I am just very happy to be where I am.  In six months I'm told I will be saying the exact opposite, but why worry about 6 months from now?  Today, I'm in love.  I have nothing specific to talk about or share so I figured I would just write some random observations and things I have gleaned while living here, followed by some pictures of some... shall I say interesting food items available on the streets here.  So, in no particular order and for no particular reason, here are a few thoughts and... Musings :)

  • I may have said this already, but the Chinese do not follow any semblance of law on the roads.  They are the worst, and best drivers in the world.  I am a great driver in the US, but would cause an accident every 10 minutes here because things are so crazy and frenetic, but they handle it with ease.
  • Chinese babies don't wear diapers apparently... Maybe they do, but walking around my neighborhood in the evenings when all the families are outside socializing, all I see are babies in what can be best described as assless onesies.  
  • There are 133 men for every 100 women here.  Its sad to think about all the lonely men there will be very shortly.  My Chinese friend put it into perspective though when I was lamenting this fact...  She said, "There are people starving all over the world, this is no big deal."  Touche.
  • The Chinese have what amount to tenements built around their construction sites.  These places have no running water, the workers shit outside and there are crews working around the clock.  They get stuff DONE, but live in squalor.
  • China has a lot of jobs that just seem made up.  They have 3 "security guards" at the entrance to every subway station, but they are mostly 100 pound girls.  They have a security scanner that you have to put your bags through to board, but there is no way they have really been trained for what to look for.  Many times I just see people walk past the scanner, when the guard protests they are ignored... the person walks on and that's the end of that.
  • I saw a 9-10 year old girl drop trough and pee on the street the other day... that was interesting
  • Speaking of, the amount of nudity by Chinese children is obscene... It is very strange to be sitting in a restaurant eating, look up and see a half naked boy. (Bottom half naked)
  • Mandarin is both incredibly easy and incredibly hard to learn.  The sentence structure is the same as ours, and they have way fewer possible syllables that they use (something like 400 to 6000), but depending on the tone you use when saying a word it has different meanings.  Ma can mean mother, dog or (I think) horse, just based on the inflection of your voice.  Counting is incredibly easy though, I could teach you to count in 10 minutes.
  • I walked through the Chinese ghetto last night.... Nothing like the American ghetto. Everyone was incredibly friendly, but just looked at us like, "What are you doing here?!"  It was pretty 3rd world, yet right across the street from some luxury apartments.  The dichotomy here is crazy.
  •   At work we had a long discussion about why you can't say, "It is allowed to spit."  For context, pretend that was the answer to someone asking, "Can I spit?".  This was weird to me, it has been so long since I have had to worry about grammar... Such is the life of an English teacher.  (The reason is "it" is the subject, and and replaces the words "to spit" so saying "It is allowed to spit" is basically saying "To spit is allowed to spit."  It makes no sense)
  • Finally, this has nothing to do with China, but apparently in Russia they teach that WW2 was won by the Russians and the US just came in after.  Even my British friends are like WTF, thats bullshit.  Ahhhh Russians, you're the worst.
So... I leave you now with a few photos of the delicious fare at a place called Wanfujing.

They just tore it down and left it.


Starfish and sea horse

Sea horse!  Scorpion!


One of these is dog, literally.



Lamb





Mmmm.. Centipede...

You can get your own action figures made!





No comments:

Post a Comment